CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken fajitas

Ok, so I love to cook, Duh. And I love trying new things. And lately I LOVE using the crock pot. Probably use it 3 times a week. Since our ward moved to 1 pm this year (nothing nice to say about that. blah!) I find it really hard to even want to cook dinner on sundays. And any other day by about 2 pm, I am ready for a nap, and seriously have no desire to even think about cooking dinner at 5 pm. This pregnancy has been FABULOUS, but man I am sooooo tired, and I am SOOOO anemic (yucky iron pills) The crock pot saves my life!! And keeps my kids eating a home cooked meal and less happy meals!! =)
So this morning when I was looking in the freezer trying to decide what to thaw, and what to make. I saw the boneless chicken thighs (my new favorite meat, so cheap and SOOO yummy!) Then I saw the bell peppers and onions in the fridge, the costco un cooked tortillas, and thought, MMMMM FAJITAS! Then I frowned when I thought of having to COOK the meat after church at 5 pm. I looked on the counter and literally heard my crock pot sing to me "croooock poooooooot fajiiiiiiiiiiitas!!" So before church, I sauteed the onions and bell peppers, put them in the fridge, then I put the FROZEN chicken in the crock pot, mixed 1 packet of chicken fajita mix with 1 1/2 cups of water, 1 can of green chilis and a few garlic cloves crushed. Put the crock pot on high, and went to church~!
Came home, and OH.MY.GOSH!! It smelled like PURE HEAVEN here! My kids even said "wow mommy, what is the yummy smell!!" AHHH I rock. So I then drained and rinsed some pinto beans, chopped a tomato, and some cilantro, drained the crock pot, keeping 1/2 cup of the liquid. And dumped everything in. let it sit on low for another 30 mins while I cooked the tortillas, and made the rice.
WOW. It was so good. I squeazed some limes over the meat, and served them up. This will for sure be a family favorite forever!!
When in doubt, CROCK POT!!
So if you werent keeping notes, here is the recipe again
about 2 pounds of chicken, thighs or breasts
1-2 packs fajita mix (I use the low salt one) dpending on how many you are feeding
1 can diced green chilis
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion
1 bell pepper
1 lime
hand full of cilantro
2 tomatoes
1 can pinto or black beans
tortillas

mix the fajita powder with 1 1/2 cups of water
put chicken in crock pot, pour sauce over, add green chilis
put on high for 4 hours.
Sautee onion and pepper until tender, then add cilantro and tomato
drain crock pot, keeping 1/2 cup of liquid.
dump beans, onion and pepper mix and let sit for 30 mins. Put in tortillas and YUM!!

4 comments:

Heather said...

OUch! 1 o'clock church hurts. That sounds like a wonderful recipe. We might give it a try sometime this week.

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Heather, you guys just need to come over this weekend, I will make them again!! We have had a SICK stomach flu house for 2 weeks, and now everyone, and everything is lysoled. COME OVER!! 1 pm church is my enemy. Amelie HATES it, she is a total FREAK by 2 pm wanting her crib. She refuses to sleep on me, and lets EVERYONE in the church know she is pissed!! haha

Isha Shiri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lindsey said...

i will have to try it! feel free to post this kind of stuff regularly!