CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Eczema treatment






Ok, this is THE treatment that seriously answered so may prayers. Its amazing what a LOT of WATER can do. Ok here it is. This is ezactly what the doctors in denver taught us. So simple, yet SO expensive..... I thought I would pay it forward. We had to pay a fortune to have Jackson treated, so I feel I need to share this info so other moms like can have a little peace in their lives. Let me know how it works for you!!

Ok its a 7 day process for severe eczema.

Day ONE- 3, 30 minute baths. FILL the tub, literally FILL the tub as high as it can go, the more water, the better. Then drape a wet towell over the shoulders. Continue to pour water over the body, and wipe a wet rag along the face. The important factor here is to KEEP WET. If this a child being treated. Make sure to have fun BATH ONLY toys. Buckets, balls, cool water toys. This will keep them entertained for 30 mins. Set a timer so you make sure you are in the tub for 30 minutes! Repeat this 2 more times.

Wrapping- while the child/adult is still in the tub, lay down a towel on a bed or the floor and get your medications ready! ALWAYS use a spoon or tongue depresser to get meds out of tubs. You dont want to contaminate the CLEAN tub. If you are using a pump despenser for the lotions, you dont need a spoon. Get child out of the tub, and start to SLATHER AQUAPHOR ointment all over areas NOT severely infected with eczema. Then use TRIAMCINOLONE OINTMENT on areas of deep concern. MAke sure not to mix. This will dilute the medication, and it wont work as well as it should. Get some CLEAN long tube socks and get wet in warm water. Ring out so they arent dripping. Put socks on medicated skin on feet and hands. Then if the exzema is on body as well. Get a 100% cotton shirt and get wet as well. Ring out. Put wet shirt on. You can use mens socks that will cover the whole leg, or use small socks, and then use 100% cotton jammy pants, wet. Then put a dry warm sweat suit or sleeper suit over wet wraps. Keep on for at least 2 hours. Or over night. Repeat 2 more times.

Face wraps- This is the hard one. same thing... but the face, you do NOT want to put the triamcinolone. We use Desonide Rx ointment. But you can use Aquaphor as well. Get CLEAN gauze, a LONG thing roll. Get wet in warm water, and wrap all over the head, and face, neck and ears. Then either use a snow beanie, or get some stretchy gauze that you can put over the head, tie a knot in the top, and then poke holes for the eyes and mouth and nose. The child will hate this, but they get used to it. The face wraps are only if your child has eczema on their face.


After 3 days of only aquaphor.... start using either CeraVe or Vanicream. Both are available at Walgreens or Costco. You may need to special order the Vanicream. It works WONDERS! We use Vanicream at night because its thicker and richer, and we use CeraVe during the day because its silkier and not so pasty. You will notice a difference after one day, seriously. After 3 days, the eczema will be GONE, and their skin will be so soft. After a week.... oh my gosh... amazing.

Maintenence.... daily 2o min baths, and a bed time body wrap. A face wrap once a week or as needed.

The key is this.. MOISTURE! When the skin itches, its thirsty. Always keep aquaphor or ceraVe in your purse or diaper bag. You never know when a itch attack will happen! GOOD LUCK!!

I would buy a large jumbo back of tube socks, and about 3 pairs of NEW 100% cotton jammies you can get wet. You wil be doing LOTS of laundry! Also, get some small bath towells, white is best, they have no dye that can be irritating.

Never use scented laundry soap, fabric softener, or even dryer sheets. Unless they are dye free and perfume free. No scented yummy lotions.

13 comments:

Brooke said...

I did this to Bauer and after the first day is legs were 97% better and after day 3 he looked like he had soft, new, baby skin. (one bath a day) His eczema was not as sever but still looked uncomfortable. Thanks you Jennie for saving my son's skin.

mIcHeLLe said...

my oldest son Kai has exzema....now he only gets it on his elbow area and behind his right ear...I know weird....so the socks on the arms would work! I don't know if he would sleep in the wet socks? hmmm...what I do, is after his is asleep and right before I go to bed, I go in with the aquaphor and lube him up....he is soooo tired, he doesn't really notice...but next time I will add the socks....we also use the Triamcinalone cream for the elbows.....we use it then take breaks from it, since it is a steroid....but I agree...all that lube stuff is so expensive!!! Luckily I only have one child with this....and he also has asthma and allergies....they all go together!!! It's kind of a package deal....if your kid has asthma, I know tricks for that!!! Give me a ring!! Or if you notice they cough all the time when they are playing...asthma....
Thanks a ton Jennie! I will go get us some new tube socks!!

mIcHeLLe said...

oh and does Jackson freeze with the wet tshirt on? I know you put a sleeper on...but just wondering.

mIcHeLLe said...

"The face wraps are only if your child has eczema on their face." heehee...I love this line! funny if I wrapped Kai's face and he didn't even have exzema on it...ha!

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

hahahah Michelle... yes the face wrap.... its pretty brutal having to HOLD your child down to wrap them up like a mummy. After the first few wraps, jackson just laid their and took it like a man.
No he didnt get cold..... he only had the wet shirts on him at the hospital and I think that I lost 10 pounds those 2 weeks while steaming in the room with the heat on full blast. The wet socks, he is so used to. today, he started to itch, so he goes in the laundry room and grabs some socks.... and says "ow... put on my wet socks" So I slathered him up, and put on his socks!
Yes... the ointments are SO $$$$ but in my mind.... spending $14 on a tub of cerave is worth it to me when I see how happy Jackson is now. The triamcinolone, we only use that when a area is very red or starting to become red. Otherwise we just use the aquaphor, and cerave. So far, Jackson doesnt have any signs of Asthma, but Porter does! ugh....He coughs like a 80 year old smoker sometimes.

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Oh... this treatment cost over $28,000. Our insurance covered 90%, plus we had to pay $2000 up front for our deductible. ugh Then you add all the ointment. We go through 2 tubs of aquaphor a month, $28, 1 tub of Triamcinolone $16 (wal mart generic plan, $4 for 1 tube, or 4 tubes=1 pound for $16)1 tub of cerave-$16. 1 tube of desonide (face cream RX) $15. It all adds up. But what are you going to do.... I will never let my son be as miserable as he used to be. Finally my baby boy wakes up HAPPY, he is a nice sweet boy, he is talking more. His diagnosis of Aspergers is GONE, and instead of being at a 18 month level at age 3, he is at a 2 year old speech level... everyday I see improvments. It just, pardon my language... pisses me off that every doctor we saw NEVER told me about this treatment. NOW they are doing it, and telling patients, because our Denver "angels" sent them the treatment and explained what morons they were for telling us "baths are bad for kids with eczema... water dries the skin out" ugh blah blah blha bad word, BAD word! I am just happy that my boy is happy and healthy, and that I am able to help those I know, and dont know find some relief and some peace.

mIcHeLLe said...

yeah and same with the people that tell me to only wash Chloe's hair once a week to keep the oils in it...ugh....how do you not wash a 3 year olds hair but once a week...no way....uh..paint today, spaghettio's tomorrow, toothpaste in it last week....on and on...it's all about what you put on it after the bath and shampoo!! oh, what soap...if any do you use in the tub? Cetaphil? or do they say none...??

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Soap... only use soap when you are getting them OUT of the tub. And yes, cetaphyl, or ivory, no perfumes or dyes

Brooke said...

My cerave is in a pump bottle. Is it better or thicker in the tub?

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

The pump is better, more sanitary, because your hands never TOUCH the cream, but its just a better DEAL to get the tub. Thats all.

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for posting this information! My son Xander is three, and his eczema has been getting progressively worse since it reared it's scaly head when he was just 10 months old.
Right now, he's at the point where he is covered almost head-to-toe with red splotches, scaly areas, etc. He scratches himself in his sleep so badly that I awaken in the mornings to find his pajamas and blankets streaked with blood :(
I've taken him to dermetologists, and numerous physicians, all to no avail.
The information you have posted is the best idea I have come across yet!
I plan on starting the treatment on Monday, when I can have the time to devote to this schedule.
I *really* hope that this is the answer we've been looking for.

Eczema treatment said...

Hi, Nice Blog!
Amazing Oil which can Cure Eczema Very Easily

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Actually, "eczema treatment" The ONLY treatment that EVER worked for my son was WATER and the soak and seal. These "treatments" that other people CLAIM work, dont. Dry skin requires ONE thing... MOISTURE. Not essential oils, not pricey smelly lotions. Its plain and simple. WATER!