CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Middle names, should they have meaning?

Ok, all of my kids are named after a grandparent or great grandparent. Lily Grace is named after my great grandma Lillie Belle Sale. She was a suffragette back in the day and fought for women's rights, ROCK ON NANNA! Jackson Kenneth is named after my grandpa Kenneth who passed away when I was 18. He was also an amazing man who spoiled me rotton and loved loved loved me! I was his baby girl. Porter William is named after Jake's granpa William. Right now he is not doing well health wise and I really love that my children carry on such amazing people's names. Now.. for baby number 4.. it seems to be tradition to name them after a grandparent of some sort. Well now I am in a jam......its not that I am out of grandparent names.... But my dad's parents names well.... Cherry and Moroni, and my mom's mom name is Ethel. So well... you understand. Jake's grandma was Beth, and I like the middle name Beth, but Jake doesnt... ARGH! My great grandma's name was Consuelo, she was from spain. I do not think my maybe daughter would really like the middle name Consuelo and I dont know how good it goes with the names we are looking at. But what about Americanizing Consuelo to Constance? Does that totally take the meaning away? I mean, she went by Connie anyways! She was also a Suffragette and was a VP of a bank in NYC when she was pregnant with my grandpa. That was unheard of back then! Well any advice would be great.
Do you like your middle name? Do you use it?
My middle name is Colleen. After my mom's best friend growing up. I never met the lady.... dont know her... but my mom really loved her.
Oh, and I think we are getting close to choosing the name Amelie... french for Emily, and close to Amelia.....and we will call her Melie. But this may all change.. My mind is all a flutter I tell you!

5 comments:

Lia said...

I really like the name Amelie, it's pretty. I think if you've used family names for all the others then you should probably find one for this one.

Scrap Happy Mommy of 2 said...

I really like Beth or Ethel, but I go by the meanings of the names as well as the flow. My kids are Nathan(Gift)Michael(one like god)and Sarah(princess)Janelle (god has favored)All names have 2 syllables (but I'm a freak) anyway, hope that helps! Any name I picked out for my babies never fit them when they were born! I had Matthew Taylor picked for Nathan, and Allison Suzanne for Sarah!

Anonymous said...

I know she wasn't a grandma, but still family--why not Janet?

ZB said...

I like my kids to have one family name, either middle or first. But, you can do whatever you want. You could do a cool friend's name.
As long as it means something to you.

Cole Family said...

Cherry!!!!...that name rocks for a middle name!!